- Have you ever felt rushed and hurried in everything you do, including eating a simple meal?
- Does it feel as though you are late for everything?
- Do you sometimes feel as though you literally can not sit in your chair?
If you can answer yes to most of these chances are you are overwhelmed. As a mother of a young girl, full-time employee, full-time student, and all around superwoman, sometimes I feel overwhelmed. You all know what I mean. The feeling of wanting to scream if the next person even thinks to ask you to lend your hand.
Sometimes we stretch ourselves too thin without taking a moment for ourselves. In the long run you do more harm than good for yourself and those that love you. You don't want to become the evil two headed snake monster about to explode any minute. I know this feeling all too well, wishing that someone would just give you a little time away. Here is the truth, are you listening, are you reading this very carefully?
Well here goes....
NO ONE is going to give you a moment. Everyone and everything needs your attention. So what you have to do is steal time away for yourself. Call it a "me hour", "a mini vacation", "a special moment", call it whatever you want. Just take it.
I know what you are thinking, there are not enough hours in the day for any of the above mentioned things. But there is. Here are a few tips:
- Go to bed 30 minutes earlier during the week
- Stay up an extra hour on the weekend to just relax (i.e, read, write, watch a movie, cuddle, etc.).
- Schedule a vacation day or half day off from work while the kids are in school (go see a matinee)
- Start a hobby that is yours and for you ( I am learning to crochet)
- My Favorite (Go for a 20 minute walk, even if it is on lunch)
I know these are not fabulous tips. But they each will make you feel better over time if done consistently. Try them and let me know what you think.