Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What Ya Reading?

For the month of October I will be reading "Making Great Decisions" I will be reviewing this book at the end of the month. I encourage you to read with me and share your thoughts.

Book Excerpt

Before You Take the First Step -- Reflect, Discern

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

-- Chinese proverb

I can trace every success or failure in my life back to something I did or didn't decide effectively. Whether in the course of developing relationships, doing business, selecting investments, or accepting invitations, I've found a direct correlation between my location on life's highway and my decisions to turn, exit, stop, or start. Extenuating circumstances beyond my control were always involved, yet more times than not, I was a victim or victor of my own making, achieving or failing because I did or did not put in place the necessary prerequisites to accomplish my desired goals. Now, to be sure, I am not a self-flagellating individual who uses this premise to blame and belittle myself for past decisions and their consequences. No, I am saying that my decisions set the course of my life.

I have now been married to the same woman, the mother of my children, for over twenty-five years. That relationship decision has set the climate of my life much like a thermostat on a heating system sets the temperature in a room. In keeping with this concept, persons in a room may not know that the temperature is affected by the smallest incremental movement of a drop of mercury in a device at an unnoticed location. In spite of its invisibility to the inhabitants of the room it still affects the comfort level of everyone present. Similarly, my key relationship decision, and many other decisions I have made, affect me and all those around me. Good results are a direct reflection of myability to think through, discern correctly, and move succinctly from the trajectory of my last decision

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...