Thursday, January 14, 2010

Don't Tell Me I'm Not a Woman

Have you ever wondered why some men can't handle a strong woman?

This is a serious issue and it has little or nothing to do with being independent. The strength of a woman goes well beyond independence. Strength is when you refuse to back down on your moral beliefs not matter how convincing the other party may be. Strength is when things get rough, people still believe your life is perfect because you hold your outside together with "crazy glue". Strength is when a woman can hold her man's head in her lap when she knows he is hurting without asking him a question.

So how come people view strength in a negative view. I won't apologize for taking the unbearable and smiling while I keep my head held high.

So don't tell me I'm not a woman because sometimes I cry when it just seems impossible, because the tears will dry but the strength will never fade.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Independence is a very strong thing and people confuse independence as a sign of strength. There is a difference and but people can be very independent with out being strong. strength from a woman is very scary in everyone's eyes. especially in society! it takes a lot of strength to be able to stick to your guns and stand up for what you believe in! and a commend all who do so especially in todays society! so more power to you because I know you are a very strong and beautiful black women and don't ever let anyone take that from you.

Unknown said...

there is a big difference between being strong and being independent! anyone can be independent but it takes your all to be a strong women and stick to your guns and stand up for what you believe in even if everyone else is telling you different. I commend anyone who has the strength to do this. I know you are a very beautiful, strong, and independent black women and don't let anyone ever take that from you!

Unknown said...

I would love to hear your thoughts on what you consider to be an independent women and how you go about getting to this conclusion.

Janelle Robinson, MPH said...

Lisa,

Thanks for the comments. Being independent is so much more than being able to financially support oneself in my eyes. I have been able to provide a roof over my own head and get the things I want for a very long time. But that isn't enough. The type of independence I hold strong is being able to stand by your moral beliefs and never let anyone lead you in a different direction. So being independent is having a strong mind.

Which brings me to my thoughts on strength. Oh wow, I can't even begin to tell you the power we as women hold. Sometimes our environments and situations are so tough when we cry people view it as a weakness. But tears are not what makes a person weak. If you can cry and dry your eyes and walk the next day with your head held high and truly know within yourself that things will be okay, then you are strong. If you keep your life in order when things around you are a mess, then you are strong.

I could go on and on. But the one thing that I realize in my strength is to love wholeheartedly. I think that is strength.

Unknown said...

I completely agree! independence I believe is being independent in your thoughts, financially, spiritually, and having strength as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...