Sunday, October 3, 2010

Easy Like Sunday Morning: She Can Cook?

2 medium, firm green tomatoes
1 teaspoon of water
1 beaten eggs
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkle of sugar

Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorite breakfast dishes. I rarely have them because green tomatoes are hard to find reasonable priced in the city. But I lucked up and found them at the fresh market about 2 weeks ago. I found the firmest greenest ones I could find because I knew I would not be cooking them right away. Well they lasted the two weeks and I decided to cook them this morning.


I only used two of the four I purchased.


First I washed the tomatoes and cut the tops and bottoms off. I beat an egg in a bowl and added a teaspoon of water. Next I cut each tomato in thin slices and seasoned to taste with seasoning salt and pepper. Next, I dipped each tomato in the egg mixture and then coated in bread crumbs. Finally I fried each side in a deep skillet of canola oil. (Add oil as needed to prevent scorching).

Sprinkled with sugar and served with turkey bacon.


My daughter loves them. She has been eating them since she was two.

Traditionally in my family, they are cooked with cornmeal, but I didn’t have any cornmeal and they actually taste better with the bread crumbs.

Try them and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...