Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Food For Thought- "As Is"

"I only know how to be me". Is that an excuse or a way of saying "here I am and accept me -as is-"?  

Let's look at this from a retail perspective.

 

Usually "as is" or the "floor model" has scratches or some form of irregularity. Do I really want to invest my money in something that needs repairing? Chances are "NO", especially if a new one or an alternative is only a few dollars more expensive.

Let's look at this from a life perspective.

 

If you are not willing to change for your significant other or polish some of those scratches, then chances are they are not going to invest in you. If you hear your defense for your actions always equating to "this is just how I am, stop trying to change me" instead of "I know I can be this way, I'm working on it" then you may want to self reflect your "as is" condition before you make that offer.

 

Remember my "Food for Thought" post are to get you thinking. So please comment and share your thoughts.


 

 

2 comments:

GG said...

I see what you're saying. We are all works in progress, and we have to be open to self analysis and growth. With that said, however, it's important for us to accept each other for who we are. In our relationships, love starts with accepting the good and the bad with the understanding that we will be open to growing together. I also really think that we have to change for our own self-improvement and not to please someone else, because changing for someone else may not result in genuine, lasting change. Great topic for discussion.

Janelle Robinson, MPH said...

Yes GG, I agree with "it's important for us to accept each other for who we are. In our relationships, love starts with accepting the good and the bad with the understanding that we will be open to growing together". That is a very important statement. Relationships require maintenance and the longer we are in them, the easier it is to forget that we are "growing together". The "as is" can be a little rough to get around if a person doesn't realize they are scarred. I think it is important to remember as we grow together some adjustments may need to be made to keep from growing apart.

I love how you add that "we have to change for our own self-improvement and not please someone else".

That is very true and the basis for being "as is". As I get older I realize that change has to come from within and not be forced or not out of the sake of being a People Pleaser.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...